Most tourists to the UK visit our amazingly awesome capital city, but if you’re up for a spot of sightseeing elsewhere there are places within an hour of London that really are worth the small effort to visit.
Being only an hour away (or less) by train, car or coach, you might be surprised just where such a short journey can take you.
That’s one of the great things about the UK.
As a small country it’s easy to get around and cram in sightseeing.
Here are some of my favorite places within an hour of London.
1. Windsor Castle
Less than 40 minutes from Central London lies Windsor Castle, an official royal residence.
Windsor is one of those ‘must-sees’ outside of London and has been tied to the British royal family for many centuries and happens to be one of the Queen’s favourite abodes.
The castle itself is a quick jaunt from Windsor &
Eton Central rail station and its grounds span 13 acres.
Highlights of the castle include its awe-inspiring state apartments, St.
George’s Chapel, and Queen Mary’s Dolls' House.
An additional 5 rooms are opened to the public in the winter months.
Windsor Castle is open year round with the exception of a few selected dates listed on its website.
In addition to the castle, Windsor is also home to Legoland, and host of lovely restaurants, making it one of the top places within an hour of London to visit.
Travel Time: Train - 38 minutes from London Paddington to Windsor & Eton Central
- 87 Places to Visit in Britain Other than London ...
- 10 Top Places for Afternoon Tea in London ...
- 7 Places for the Best Bird's Eye View of London ...
- 10 Places to Avoid the Olympics in London ...
- 149 Travel🛫 Adventures to Make Us All Wish 🌟 It Was Still Summer ☀️ ...
- 8 Most Unforgettable 💥 Destinations 🌎 🌍 🌏 Everyone Must Visit in Their Lifetime ⏳⌛️ ...