7 Reasons Why You Should Consider Going to College out of State ...

By Vladlena

7 Reasons Why You Should Consider Going to College out of State ...

The college application process can be very stressful and depressing, there is so much pressure and you are not even sure if you want to apply to colleges out of state. Many people don’t have the option to even think of leaving home for personal reasons but other people choose to not leave because they are playing it safe. Even if you are still not sure if you want to attend colleges far away from home, it’s important to consider it because there are many benefits to applying to colleges out of state.

Table of contents:

  1. more options
  2. new people
  3. independence
  4. better academics
  5. going out of your comfort zone
  6. new atmosphere
  7. chance to start over

1 More Options

The most stressful thing about college is that you don’t know which one will accept you. It’s 40% your academics and other achievements and the other 60% is just pure luck. So in order to assure that you won’t end up being rejected from every college, it’s crucial to apply to colleges out of state because that leaves you with more options and the possibility of getting accepted. Why restrict yourself to applying to a small group of colleges in your state and limit your chances?

2 New People

One thing that people get excited about when it comes to college is meeting new people and creating more connections all over the world. Yes, you might be satisfied with your small groups of friends that you’ve had throughout high school, but people out of your hometown may be completely different. You can learn new ideas and lifestyles, and spread your range of knowledge regarding people and communication!

3 Independence

As much as we all say that we can’t wait to move out and live on our own, we are scared to leave the nest! How are we supposed to handle living on our own, cooking, doing laundry, working and studying when we have been sheltered by our parents all of our lives? It’s completely scary to take that leap into independence, but attending a college out of state can help with that fear. It’s almost like a small stepping stone toward independence because you are living on your own but you can always come back!

4 Better Academics

Depending on what you want to major in, colleges out of state may offer better education in your field than the colleges at home. This may not be the case for everyone, but it might be an important thing to think about for others. For example, if you want to enter the medical field and all of the colleges in your state are weak in that area, it would be best to consider choosing what’s best for your education.

5 Going out of Your Comfort Zone

As I’ve said before, leaving home is scary and it may be completely uncomfortable for some people. However, going to a different area can change you as a person if you get out of your comfort zone. You will no longer be afraid of trying new things and if all ends up well, you’ll learn to take chances!

6 New Atmosphere

It’s no secret that after spending all of your life in one area, life can get a little repetitive. You see the same people, same places and same events, and you can’t wait to leave and let something new into your life. If you are one of those people, this is your chance to get out and change up your surroundings!

7 Chance to Start over

What’s best about moving to a new area is that you can start fresh and form a new slate. If you want to reinvent yourself without letting your past haunt you, going to a college out of state is an opportune moment!

Deciding on colleges is a long process that you don’t want to mess up on. It’s important to completely know all of your options and explore all scenarios. What are your plans on applying to colleges? Share in the comments!

Please rate this article