7 Fun Facts about Borneo ...

Melanie

7 Fun Facts about Borneo ...
7 Fun Facts about Borneo ...

People have misconceptions about Borneo most of the time because they have no clue of the actual facts about Borneo. Therefore, I'm on a mission to educate people about my beautiful home. Saintly behaviors aside, I'm just really annoyed by the dumb statements I hear about Borneo. It's actually a really interesting place. Let's just see how much 'fun' I can make out of facts about Borneo. Here goes nothing!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Please subscribe for your personalized newsletter:

1

It is Administered by 3 Countries...

And those three countries are Brunei, Malaysia and Indonesia. Yes, there is actually civilization in Borneo, not just headhunters. I'm pretty sure they're facing extinction by now. A lot of people don't know this - one of the most obvious facts about Borneo.

2

It is the Third Largest Island in the World...

It ranks behind Greenland and New Guinea, followed by Madagascar. It's really sad to say this, but I haven't even gotten through half of it yet. In my defense though, it is the largest island in Asia. It's also twice the size of Germany.

3

It is Home to Mount Kinabalu

Mount Kinabalu is the highest peak in South East Asia. It used to be an erupting volcano but it's pretty much dead now, I think. Let's just hope so because it's quite a popular tourist destination. Hikers have to wake up super early to get to the peak by dawn to witness the most spectacular sunrise you can ever imagine. It is also the habitat of many rare species of plants and animals. It is one of UNESCO's World Heritage Sites.

4

You Can Find a Very Big Flower Here

That is, if you're interested in gigantic flowers that smell like corpses. The Rafflesia Arnoldii is the biggest flower in the world. You can find it by following the rotten stench while climbing Mount K. Note, method not guaranteed. *wink* The cool air and rich soil is what makes this place suitable for this rare species to grow.

5

Brunei Only Occupies 1% of the Island

And that's all they have. Again, that shows you how big the island is. And added to that, is how rich Borneo actually is. As we all know, Brunei is a very rich country. So if it can make all that out of just 1%, think about the other 99%. Mind blowing, isn't it?

6

The Borneo Rainforest is 130 Million Years Old

It is one of the oldest rainforests in the world, inhabited by many endangered species such as the Sumatran rhinoceros, the Asian elephant and the Borneon clouded leopard. This is one of the more well known facts about Borneo that inspired the most annoying misconceptions ever. WE DON'T LIVE IN TREES. I mean we're surrounded by them, but seriously?

7

The Natives Are Known as Dayaks...

And there are over 200 ethnic subgroups. Reasonable amount for such a big island? I am proud to say that I’m one eighth Dayak though my surname clearly suggests an ancestry from China. And just to clarify, we're way past the days of animism.

I hope these facts have helped you understand Borneo (or at least a person from Borneo) better. Leave a comment below if you have any questions and I'll try to answer you the best I can. If you wish to know more, why not make a trip to Borneo to experience it yourself?

Feedback Junction

Where Thoughts and Opinions Converge

Its so beautiful There...

Yay am happy abt this articlei live in Borneo which is part of Indonesia. Biggest part of Borneo belong to my country and we call it Kalimantan

Borneo is amazingly beautiful. I am from Indonesia n travel lot to Borneo

So what is your nationality?

My uncle is living in front of Mount Kinabalu! I'm sure you'll enjoy the fresh air early in the morning.

Aww love this article! I lived in Brunei for 13 years, small but friendly country :)

I'm sure Borneo is an amazing place! Everybody should know that. It's on my top list for places to visit. What are the best months for someone to visit Borneo in order to enjoy nature at it's best but also not to bump into too many tourists?

I live in Borneo, actually at South borneo, Indonesia. Very proud found this article. Thx for sharing.

Related Topics

interesting fact about photography paris riche stylo unforgettable lilac acid rain facts dim sum nashville random facts about the solar system 5 facts about ariana grande the air we breathe is made up of cool facts about electricity marriage infidelity statistics national rubber eraser day

Popular Now